This homemade Hoagie or Submarine roll will help you seriously step up your sandwich game. Its a super easy recipe and very forgiving as well. You can change the shape make it into a Hotdog bread or a burger bun. Either way, you wont be missing the store bought versions at all.
Quick summary of the steps :
Smell of freshly baked bread wafting through the house is most heartwarming. If you are new to bread making or not, either ways this summary breaks down the process making it seem super simple.
- Proofing of yeast : mix warm water, yeast and sugar for 10 min till it froths.
- Dough making- mix all ingredients, knead for 20 min and let it rest for 1 hour
- 1st proof- the resting process where the gluten activated and the dough doubles in size is called proofing.
- Shaping : shape the dough into individual loafs
- 2nd proof : let the loafs rest for another 30-40 min
- Bake: bake at 180 deg C fo r15-18 min
- Cool on rack and voila !! easy right
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 3 1/2 all purpose flour or maida
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1+ 1/3 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup salted butter, room temperature
1. Proofing of yeast : mix yeast and pinch of sugar in 1/3 cup of tepid water and give it a good whisk. Cover and let it rise for 5-10 min. If it doesn't rise, abort mission and start again.
2. Mix Maida, sugar, salt, yeast mixture and water. Bring it all together for 5 minutes.
3. Add butter and knead for 15 minutes. It may be a shaggy dough, thats fine.
4. 1st Proofing of dough : cover with wet muslin cloth and let it rise for 1 hour.
5. Shaping : punch down the dough on the kitchen platform. Cut into 8-10 equal parts. I weigh by dough, so keep the same size. 75 gm for 10 loafs.
6. Roll then flat and long like a sub sandwich.
7. Pre-heat the oven at 180 deg C
8. 2nd proof of dough : cover with musling cloth and let this rest for 30 minutes.
9. You can score the top slightly and sprinkle maida on top.
10. Bake for 16-18 min, in middle rack of the oven at 180 deg C.
And voila !!! its ready.
Can slice in the middle and layer your choice of filling.
My favourite is Caprese. Caprese is an Italian salad made with tomato slices, fresh mozzarella and basil. you can also add cucumber slices and lettuce leave for more crunch and fibre. Drizzle oil oil for adding more flavour, can also smear homemade pesto on the insides for added depth of flavour.