Mangalorean specialty called Prawn Ghee roast is a huge favourite of many. Old Fashioned Gourmet has curated this special spice blend after intensive research and brought to you this ready to cook, Curry-in-a-hurry spice blend which makes it super simple to make in your own home.
As always we use premium spices which are sun-dried, hand sorted, individually roasted and then pounded to perfection. Many of the spices are ancient ones, no longer commonly used like Long peppers Etc.
Prawns can be substituted with main ingredient of your choice. Be it Paneer, Aaloo, Mushroom or Chicken, it’s as simple and delish either way.
The restaurant version is suspect for it may have colour or questionable oil. This spice blend is homemade, hand made with zero preservatives and no color. The red is from the mangalorean equivalent of fiery red Kashmiri chillies, the old fashioned way. Made from a tried and tested heirloom recipe which is what has made this product our absolute Best seller.
MANGALORE PRAWN GHEE ROAST
- 250 gm Prawn/Boiled Mushroom
- 1.5 tbsp thick Curd
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp OFG's Mangalore Ghee Roast Masala
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 2 dry Red chillies
- Spring of Curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Tamrind juice
- 1.5 tsp Jaggery
- Marinate 250 gms of PRAWN/ veggies in 1 tbsp curd, 1tbsp of Ghee roast masala, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, lemon juice and 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Heat 1.5 tbsps ghee in kadhai, cook marinated pieces along with the marinade till its 3/4 cooked. Keep aside.
- In the same vessel, add the Ghee 2 tbsp remaining ghee, and add 2tsp ginger garlic paste, 2 heaped tbsp of Ghee roast masala, few curry leaves and 1 tbsp Tamrind juice. Saute on low to medium flame for 3-4 mts to till the ghee separates.
- Add the cooked pieces and mix well. Add the left over liquid and jaggery and cook on medium flame for 3-4 mts. Add salt to taste and mix.
- Reduce flame, place lid and cook till the pieces is cooked and you have a thick coating of the masala. This is not a curry, its a semi dry dish.
- Remove lid, roast pieces for 2-3 mts. Optionally can drizzle 2 tsp of Ghee on top for added fragrance. Garnish with curry leaves & serve hot.
You may service as a snack or as a main course with Dosa or Neer Dosa or Jeera rice. Reassure you that everyone will love it and ask for more.