We all have been using Vanilla essence since eons. The brown liquid in black bottle has been our go-to for all cakes and yummies.. It makes good cake better... yummm..
Lately, Vanilla pods have been in vogue, and it is definitely more flavourful to add the cream from the pod straight in the cakes, but its quite a pain to maintain the pods till then. They tend to get mouldy if not stored properly.
I chanced upon this Vanilla Extract recipe a while ago and made a small batch in February. And 3-4 weeks later, it had tuned into this beautiful caramel colored liquid. When I opened the lid, as if a bouquet of flowers has poured out of the little bottle. Divine....
That day I vowed to never buy Vanilla Essence again. God knows what they put in it and for the price we pay (too cheap) the contents are very- very suspect. yikes...
WHY SHOULD YOU D-I-Y, Do-It-Yourself ?
- Store bought ones have questionable ingredients
- They lack depth of flavour
- The good ones are super expensive and not easy to find or trust
- Its super easy to make
Then why wait , right??
This is a 2 ingredient, 5 minute recipe. One of the ingredient will probably be at your home. The other is available on Amazon. So click click right away..
- 2 Vanilla Pods
- 30 ml Vodka
- Cut Vanilla pods according to height of your bottle
- Slice Vanilla pods horizontally
- Fill in a small dark bottle
- Top with Vodka
- Leave for 3-4 weeks
- Shake 1-2 times a week
- Depending on the temperature where you live, it should be ready in 3-4 weeks.
- When you open and can smell the aroma, its done.
- Use a dark colored miniature alcohol bottle.
- If not dark, cover with dark paper.
- The more it ages, the better it will be.
- You can top it up with more pods or vodka.
- It makes a super gift.. your friends will thank you <3