Apple cider vinegar D-I-Y
I have been an Apple cider vinegar (ACV) proponent for more than a decade. Not to sound braggy but I have a knack of stumbling upon foods, before they start to trend. Be it ACV, Micro greens, Activated Charcoal or even Sour dough for that matter.
At that time, I would advocate a particular brand of ACV to people and insist they buy only that, for it was organic, raw, unfiltered with the Mother. Mother of ACV is the unfiltered and unrefined vinegar with cloudy and murky appearance is called apple cider vinegar with "mother". It is used for drinking purposes and has many health benefits due to the presence of beneficial bacteria, yeast and protein.
Then one day I chanced upon a ACV DIY recipe. And voila.. I had hit gold, since I am DIY obsessed, its my quirk and I love it.
I read it on a Doggy blog. Apparently its very good for our four-legged friends too.
Its super simple to make and trust me, you, once you taste the one made at home, just like I did, you will NEVER-EVER buy the store bought one again. so here goes...
WHY SHOULD YOU DO the Do-It-Yourself ACV?
- Its super duper easy. 4 ingredients only.
- 5 minute effort once.
- It smells fresh and fruity, like an orchard.
- The store bought ones have a peculiar unappetising smell, unlike this one.
- It's homemade, handmade by you. Labour of love is sweet right !!
- And it costs nothing almost.
- 2 organic local Apples
- 2 tbsp Sugar/Honey
- 2 lt Filtered water
- 1 tbsp ACV with mother (optional)
- Wash and cut Apples- use pith, seeds, skin, et all
- Add to clean glass jar all ingredients
- Fill it, Shut it, Stir it, Forget it
- Stir every 2 days for 18-23 days with wooden spoon.
- It's ready when all the Apples looks mushy.
- Strain it in a muslin cloth
Seriously 😆 😆
- Only DONOT use anything made of metal after you have cut the apples.
- Using 1 tbsp of ACV with the mother is optional. I used it the first time, just to reassure myself, this will work. In my head, it was like a "JAMUN" for the yogurt we make at home, like Scoby for my Kombucha or the Starter for sour dough bread. But it works fine with out it also.
- In winters i threw in some strawberries. Planning to throw in some Litchis next time. you can play with the flavours.
Follow us on our Instagram story for the day by day progress. Will post a video here when the 18 days are over.
"How do I use ACV !!"
- Detox drink- 1 tbsp of ACV, 1 tsp raw honey, juice of 1/2 a lemon in Warm water, 1st thing in the morning.
- Refreshing lemonade - Same recipe as above but in cold water with ice.
- Of course in salad dressings.
- 1/2 tsp in my Doggies, meals. Its superb for their gut, their coat, curbs the bad breath and keeps flees away.